Its author, O. Y. Musatova, a student of the phycologist academician D. O. Svirenko, started studying microscopic aquatic vegetation of the Rybalsky Quarry in 1919. The article contains interesting information characterizing the Quarry, which at the time was an abandoned stone quarry. This quarry had operated until 1914 despite the fact that it was constantly flooded by water from nearby springs. In 1917 during exceptionally high spring water levels, the Quarry was flooded with water from the Samara.
The length of the water body was 60 m, width – 30 m, maximum depth – 4 m. The water body was surrounded by rocks of 16 m height. The general reaction of water was low-alkaline.
At that time, the shores of the water body were massively overgrown with Veronica verna L., Myosotis arenaria, Berteroa incana L., Sedum acre, Achillea millefolium, Capsella bursa-pastoris and Anthemis arvensis L. In shady areas the rocks were covered with mosses and lichens. In the water, there was sparse growth of Phragmites communis, Schoenoplectus lacustris and Typha angustifolia L.